Foreign Employees Guide - English
Services provided by LMRA to expat employees
- Issue work visa and renewal of work visa.
- Provide entry visa and residence permit and multiple entry, and ID cards for worker and family in coordination with concerned bodies.
- Facilitate medical checkup appointments in coordination with Ministry of health.
Before leaving your country:
- Check validity of your work visa on LMRA website
www.lmra.bh by entering your visa number in the proper field.
- If you have worked in Bahrain before please hand over your old ID card to your employer before he applies for you.
- Make sure you carry the following documents with you:
• 2 copies of your passport, must be valid for more than 6 months.
• Copy of the LMRA work visa.
• Copy of employment contract.
• Driving license (if available).
• Degrees and qualification certificates (if available).
• Copy of marriage certificate if you intend to bring your spouse and
- Please refer to the list of approved medical centers in your country to carry out medical checkups at these approved centers only: to check list please go on:
When you arrive in the Kingdom of Bahrain:
- Proceed to the LMRA counters and provide copy of your work visa and passport, the LMRA will cordinate with concerned bodies to provide you with a ID card, residence permit and medical appointment for checkup.
- You will provide LMRA with your finger prints, your photo and your signature at the LMRA counter when you first enter the kingdom. if this is not possible at airport you will have to visit the LMRA headquarters within one month of arrival. In case you wish to do transfer you will have to fill a transfer request form and attach your ID card copy.
Keep your passport in your possession. Do not give it to anyone, unless you fully agree and consent to keep it with your employer.
Important Notice: In case of bringing your family they should either accompany you or arrive after you. Each family member should have a separate passport.
After arrival into the Kingdom of Bahrain:
To avoid any penalties and legal issues or cancellation of your work visa, and to determine your stay in the kingdom legally please follow these steps:
- Work only the job you are assigned in your work visa and no other job.
- Work only in the location of the site mentioned in your visa, or other branches of the same employer and same job.
- Cooperate with the LMRA inspection officers when they ask for your verification of fingerprints or documents.
- Stick to the rules of your employment contract.
- Your request for transfer will prevent your employer from renewing your visa.
- Do not pay any amount in return for a work visa, or to renew your work visa or to transfer to another employer.
- Abide by all Kingdom of Bahrain laws and respect the traditions and culture of the country.
- Do not be absent from work for more than 15 continuous days with out permission of the employer, or any other reason not mentioned in the law.
- If you have any dispute with your employer please refer to the labour courts at the Ministry of Justice and Islamic law.
- You can check status of your work visa by mobile service at any time send a message with CPR add your ID number (CPR XXXXXXXXX) to the following number Batelco 90168 or Zain 77070 or Viva 98690.
You can use this service to check the status of your work visa or your family anytime and related details.
You may access the service with your CPR number and the expiry date of your passport on https://www.lmra.bh/expatportal/login.php
Make sure you complete your medical exmination within 30 days of arrival to the kingdom
Transfer to another employer
A worker has the right to transfer to another employer, as per the provisions of the of the LMRA resolution no 79 for 2009 regulating the transfer process as follows:
1- Transfer without consent of employer:
- Complete one full year with the current employer before starting transfer process.
- Notify the current employer of your intent to transfer via a registered letter and retain the notification of receipt of the same from the post office, within the time fixed in the employment contract and not exceeding 3 months notice period.
- Then follow up with the new intended employer for appilcation submission and LMRA requirements for transfer.
2- Transfer with consent :
- In coordination with first employer the 2nd employer applies for the worker at LMRA meeting all the requirements.
- In the LMRA system the first employer allows transfer for the worker and the transfer is done after the second employer pays the necessary fees.
3- Transfer in case of expired work visa or other reasons:
- Inform the LMRA of your intention within 30 days before expiry of your work visa or within 5 days of your knowledge of cancellation of your work visa, by coming personally to the LMRA.
- You are given 30 days period to transfer and within this period you are not allowed to take up any form of employment.
In order to communicate with LMRA, you may provide your mobile number and email via the expat portal https://www.lmra.bh/expatportal/login.php or by visitng our client services at LMRA or via the call center on 17506055 or visit your embassy.
To view the LMRA services you may visit the LMRA guide
For more information call 17506055 or visit us on www.lmra.bh
English Expat Guide
Last Update: Thursday 10 October 2013